Canine Good Citizen
AKC CANINE GOOD CITIZEN PROGRAM
The AKC started the Canine Good Citizen Program in 1989 as a means of rewarding dogs who are well-behaved companions at home and in the community. A key component of the CGC Program is the 10-step CGC test issued by our AKC certified evaluators.
- Item #1 Accept a Friendly Stranger
- Item #2 Sit Politely For Petting
- Item #3 Appearance and Grooming
- Item #4 Our For a Walk (On a Loose Leash)
- Item #5 Walk Through a Crowd
- Item #6 Sit and Down on Command / Staying in Place
- Item #7 Come When Called
- Item #8 Reaction to Another dog
- Item #9 Reactions to Distractions
- Item #10 Supervised Separation
Why Do it? Earning the CGC award will ensure that your dog is a well-respected member of your community. Also, some therapy dog groups require the CGC as a prerequisite. In addition, Canine Good Citizen training is a fun way to spend time with your dog and will help you establish a closer bond.